Rochester, New York
1.2K views 12 comments

I put my bike away using the 'breathable' cover supplied with the $37,000 CVO Harley Davidson. When I removed the cover in March there was damage all over the bike. Chrome was peeling off several parts. The only way to repair the engine finish was to replace the engine for $7,000. Harley denied warranty with any of their employees or reps inspecting the damage.

Related: Harley Davidson - Customer service is a joke at Harley

The dealer offered to repair the bike for over $10,000 which included a tidy profit on top of the thousands they made selling me that defective piece of ***. What should be done. According to Dave Lang, the Sales Manager of Crossroads Harley Davidson who sold me the bike:

"I have been on the phone and told them [HD] I think they are wrong ....."

"I feel they [HD] should be held responsible for their product."

"I can't accept the answers I got from the Motor Company either but as you know they hold all the cards......"

"My last statement to the Motor Company was, "I'm sorry to say but I will advise my friend to follow up with a lawyer to resolve this problem even if it means filing the Lemon Law act on it." ..."

Although he did not relay these thoughts to Harley. But I will. I intend to write to Keith Wandell, Harley's President, to see if he knows how a customer who has spent over $70,000 at HD in the past 2 years would be arbitrarily denied legitimate warranty repairs is treated.

Review about: Harley Bike.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Harley Davidson Repair
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Harley Davidson?

Comments

Ddv8
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia #1208167

How did you go I'm having the same problems on my cvo n we are not alone.I am trying to find the class action against Harley in the states.

Please let me know how u went.

Breakout2014@outlook.com.au

Steve Becker
Webster, New York, United States #907197

I have 2013 FLHX that the motor went bad with 2500 miles on it .the dealer told me they will fix it and did I ever think of putting a SE kit in ( this is the time to do it ) we agreed on the stage 4 kit .

after installing it and it still is not right I was told to bad the stag 4 kit voided your warranty. WOW I called HD and was told " what do you want us to do "" and hung up.

can you say Victory motorcycles?this was my 13 new Harley and my last

tony
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom #648195

I have a HD fat boy with chromed solid wheels which HD replaced under warranty due to defective chrome.It just peeled off.

After another 1500 miles the same thing happens and guess what. Warranty no longer applies and HD have no responsibility.

There is no defect chrome on any other part of the bike only the wheels.Basically its the last HD i will ever buy and would never recommend one to anyone.

Mongo97

Instead of buying a HD to brag about and keep in the garage, try riding it. I have 72,000 miles plus and it still has none of the issues that you have. Sorry bro but riding a scoot keeps it good shape...With maintenance of course !!

Danny

Sorry, I just don't buy the story.It has to be something environmental to the bike.

I have NEVER in all my years of dealing with Harleys ever seen that degree of chrome peel on a bike that wasn't way old. Definetly not to say it couldn't hapopen but to see it on different unrelated pieces tells me there is something more going on. As for the jug, how does that warrant a new engine?

Some crinkle paint and scuff the fin edges and it looks new, I have done many.How a $15 axle cap, $25 heel shifter and some peeling wrinkle paint from a jug equals $10G's I don't understand either.

Susan

I have the EXACT same problem on my CVO. The same parts too! There's no way it is a storage problem because I have another, older bike that has perfect chrome.

Billy

Looks like a $30,000 boat anchor. Did you spray it with saltwater everyday like it says in the owners manual?

ron

Jasel - not trying to pile on in this case but this is a self induced storage problem.I have worked for harley dealerships and have been around them for over 30 years.

I have never seen this happen to a properly stored bike.

Something in your storage area caused this, for example if you have a pool and have a bucket of chlorine in your garage and ventilation is poor this will eat the finish of the bike.Other chemicals can do same thing

fltr06

first of all guys let me say they is no such thing as a lemon law on motorcycles.its not like a car, save the attorney fees.

it does however look like it was stored in a damp place with no precautions taken.take respsonsibility for YOUR actions.and to the person who says they will return it it will just effect your credit

PhrogFlyer

i hate to say much, but that looks like basic corrosion.how long was the bike stored?

did you perform any corrosion prevention either prior or during storage?was the storage area damp (moisture) or in a controlled environment?